Monday, January 2, 2012

Cancer Prevention for Your Pet

Happy New Year Everyone! I celebrated my 8th birthday a week ago on Christmas Day and I am 38 days post operation!  Yay!

The following day I had my 4th homotoxicology session.  We have now dropped down to every other week for my injection sessions for maintenance.

I feel amazing! I've been going to the dog park and dashing around the neighborhood with my dog friends.   I have noticed that my coat is looking shinier then ever.  I think it might be the 2g of omegas I am taking every day, but dang I'm looking good! My weight is perfect too, 50lbs right on the nose.

Here are some ways I have learned through this whole process, how you may be able to prevent cancer in your beloved pet.  My Dr. says, "Cancer is much easier to prevent, than it is to treat."  

I have heard from many sources that 50-100 years ago cancer was almost unheard of in dogs.  We ate the scraps of what our humans ate.  There are many questions as to why cancer develops.   In some cases there may be genetic factors at play.  We can't help but consider that our modern diet, lifestyle and environmental pollutants might play a role in the cellular mutations that lead to this disease.

What we can do to prevent cancer before it starts:

1.  PURE WATER - Always allow us access to purified water.  The additives to public water can be toxic to us.

2. MINIMAL STRESS- Stress increases stress hormones in the body, overtime this can have an impact on the immune system response or the bodies natural defenses to fight off disease.
3. REGULAR EXERCISE - Regular exercise is so important for pets! It helps our circulatory system and keeps our heart and lungs strong.

4. MINIMAL VACCINATIONS - Vaccinate as little as possible over your pets lifetime.

5. ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTANTS- There are so many things that can make us sick! Cigarette smoke, fertilizers, cleaning agents, some carpets aren't even healthy for us. We are also sensitive to dust and mold too! We are closer to the ground than you. Plastic can make us sick as well.  Here is a great blog that addresses how plastic has an affect on our systems.
http://www.dogcancerblog.com/hemangiosarcoma-mammary-cancers-and-plastic-link/

6. CONTROL WEIGHT - Over feeding can put unnecessary stress on a pet's immune system.  It could also be an indication of inflammation in the body, which is an opportune condition for cancer to develop.

7. FLEA PRODUCTS - Insecticides are designed to kill a living creature, it is best to use only if absolutely needed.

8. WHOLE FOOD - If you can fit it into your budget, find a way to feed us as close to natural and organic as possible.  Anything with a protein content of 50-75% is ideal and the rest being veggies.

If this is not possible consider dry foods that do not have a bunch of words you can't pronounce in the label.

It is very common for big name companies to add artificial preservatives, artificial flavors, and dyes, in addition to being high in carbohydrates and low in protein.  Cancer loves carbohydrates, and a high carbohydrate diet increases the likelihood of diabetes.  The protein provided in these types of foods is often made with very low grade meat and may include parts from sick or dead animals.  

Here are some great brands that you can trust to get you started if you can't cook food fresh for us:
Here is a great link to a much more extensive list of toxic things your pet may be coming in contact with on a daily basis Land of Pure Gold - Polluted


My Health History

I left my birth mom when I was five and a half weeks old because she was no longer nursing me and I needed supplementation.

As a puppy I had bad fleas and I was allergic to them.  As a result, every time I got fleas I had the desire to chew patches of fur right off my body.

For the first three years of my life I had quite a bit of separation anxiety and would cry and cry whenever my Mom left me at home or in the car.

I have always been prone to rashes on my tummy, hair loss on my back and ear infections.

I have had many courses of antibiotics throughout my life as a way to treat my skin problems. We found that grain-free was the best way to go for me. It pretty much stopped my allergic reactions and infections.

I have always been up to date on my vaccines because we thought it was best for me and I even had some extra vaccines for international travel and admittance to doggie day care.

I can't help but wonder if all this coupled with a genetic predisposition landed me where I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment